Skip to main content
Berlin Brandenburger Tor

Information for incoming exchange students

ESMT looks forward to welcoming incoming exchange students to our Master in Management program.

The ESMT international office administers the exchange process including nomination, application, and course selection, and supports the students before, during, and after their exchange at ESMT. 

General information

  • Nomination

    To apply to study at ESMT, students must be nominated by our partner institution.

  • Application

    Nominated students will receive application instructions via the email address provided by their exchange coordinator.

    As part of their application, students will be asked to provide:

    • CV
    • Color scan of their passport (front and photo page)
    • Confirmation of English language proficiency
  • English language proficiency requirements

    TOEFL scores (95 minimum), PTE score (64 minimum), IELTS  score (7 minimum) or other English proficiency test. ESMT Berlin accepts MyBest™ scores for the TOEFL iBT® test, in addition to TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date. The ESMT TOEFL institution code is 8707.

    Students whose native language is English or who have earned a university degree exclusively taught in English, do not need to take an English proficiency test.

  • Course selection

    Students coming on an exchange to our Masters in Management program can take selected courses from first and second year of the program. For the most recent list of available courses, please click here.

    The above list includes most recently available courses and each year there can be some changes in the course list.

    Due to potential course cancellations because of undersubscription, schedule clashes, and limitations of room sizes because of oversubscription, we require that students provide valid alternatives to their course choices.

    If specific courses are required by the sending institution, student should indicate those during the application process. Accommodations will be made wherever possible.

  • Grading

    For our grading policy, please refer to page 18 and 19 of our Exam Rule Book.



  • Covid-19

    For most recent information about Covid-19 for all degree program applicants, please visit this dedicated page

  • Accommodation

    ESMT is based in the very heart of Berlin and does not offer dedicated student accommodation on campus. ESMT’s Student Services will provide you with information on how to find housing in Germany. A wide variety of accommodation is available in Berlin for your needs. Typically, our students are able to find an apartment in Berlin before, or during the first weeks, of their exchange. For more information on how to find accommodation, see our Student Guide Book or contact Student Services via

  • Cost of living

    This is a personal question, and it depends on your expectations for accommodation desires and food needs. On average, we find that students need €1,000 to €1,500 per month to live in Berlin. Students opting for a room in a shared flat may have expenses below this estimate.

    Cost of living in Berlin


    Students with disabilities who are looking for more information about accessibility and accommodation in Germany can visit this website.

  • Clubs and organizations

    Exchange students can join clubs and organizations at ESMT and get involved in the ESMT community outside the classroom. Learn more about the active clubs on our dedicated webpage.

  • Getting enrolled at ESMT

    During their first week on ESMT campus, incoming exchange students must obtain their enrollment confirmation from the Student Services Office (Room 232 A), or a digital version of it, via email. Here is what we require from students, in advance:

    • A signed and dated study agreement: Exchange students will receive their ESMT study agreements digitally in the weeks before program start. Please read the document carefully and keep a copy for your records. You can submit your signed and dated agreement via email.
    • Proof of valid health insurance: All students are required to submit a confirmation of their health insurance status issued by a German public health insurance company. Please read on for more information on health insurance as a student in Germany.
  • Student health insurance in Germany

    Under German law, all students are obliged to have health insurance in order to study at a university. To become officially enrolled at ESMT, students must submit a document, issued by a German public health insurance provider, that confirms their insurance status. The confirmation must state that the student is either insured by a public health insurance provider or exempt from public health insurance obligation.

    In the latter cases, the student must additionally submit proof of the corresponding private health insurance or European Health Insurance Card. These documents should be submitted to the Student Services Office ( within the first two weeks after the program start.

    Students from EU countries and countries with a social security agreement with Germany

    Students from several countries can take out medical insurance in their country of origin and get a European Health Insurance Card or its equivalent (e.g., EHIC, Citizens Rights EHIC, or A / T 11) before arriving in Germany. These documents provide sufficient coverage for studying in Germany. This applies to the following countries:

    • EU Countries (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden)
    • The UK, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland
    • Bosnia-Herzegovina, Israel, Macedonia, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia, Tunisia, and Turkey

    If you have an EHIC or equivalent, you can show it to a German public health insurance provider, who will provide you with a health insurance obligations exemption letter. Further information on the EHIC may be found here and here.

    Note: To work in Germany, holders of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may need to switch to a German insurance provider. Confirm the requirements with your current insurer and your new employer before you start working.

    Students from non-EU and “nonsocial security agreement with Germany” countries

    These students must prove that they have sufficient insurance not only to enroll at ESMT but also to get a residence permit, if they need one. The travel insurance that many students get in order to apply for a German entry visa is not sufficient for enrolling at ESMT or applying for a residence permit.

    We strongly recommend that all students from non-EU countries and “non-social agreement with Germany" countries get travel insurance for the visa application and to cover them for the first weeks in Germany and obtain German health insurance after arrival.

    German private health insurance

    Unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, we recommend that you take out German private insurance to cover you during your exchange at ESMT. Private student insurance is cheaper than public student insurance, and the sign-up process is much simpler. However, unlike with public insurance, privately insured individuals must pay their medical costs upfront and request reimbursement.

    Please note also that German private insurance providers often limit their coverage of medical expenses related to pre-existing medical conditions. For this reason, individuals with pre-existing conditions should consider taking out German public health insurance.

    Note also that students over the age of 30 no longer qualify for German public health insurance and, in most cases, must take out private insurance.

    ESMT has had a partnership with Mawista, a German private student health insurance provider. On their ESMT landing page, you can get an overview of the costs of various private and public insurance plans and sign up for Mawista if you choose to. We have had overwhelmingly positive feedback about Mawista from students in the past. Other private insurance providers that students often opt for are Care Concept and Educare.

    If you opt for private health insurance, you need to submit to the ESMT Student Services Office the insurance confirmation from your private insurance provider as well as an exemption letter from a German public health insurance provider.

    German public health insurance

    German public student health insurance plans are more expensive than private insurance plans, and the sign-up process is more complicated. For this reason, exchange students who plan to stay in Germany for just a few weeks or months are generally better served taking out private student insurance.

    There are, however, a couple of advantages to having public insurance. Firstly, publicly insured individuals do not need to pay their medical costs upfront. Instead, the insurance provider pays these to the healthcare provider directly. The other advantage is that public insurance plans cover pre-existing medical conditions.

    ESMT works most closely with Techniker Krankenkasse, one of the biggest public insurance providers in Germany, as we have found their English-language customer service to be better than their competitors. That said, the public insurance providers generally provide similar benefits for similar prices, so feel free to shop around.

    If you opt for public insurance, you will need to submit your health insurance confirmation to the Student Services Office at ESMT to complete your enrollment.

    If you have any questions/concerns about health insurance in Germany, please do not hesitate to reach out to ESMT’s Student Services Office at

Useful Information