Executive MBA admissions
EMBA admissions focuses on finding talented, high-potential leaders who can succeed in a challenging environment. Those applying should be engaged with ESMT’s mission and goals, specifically an interest in technology management and a desire to uphold responsible leadership practices.
ESMT EMBA admissions evaluates applications on the following qualities:
- Strong career record with at least 5 years of professional experience, three of which should include managerial experience
- Indicators of senior leadership potential for high-performance career growth
- International outlook, intercultural competence, and a responsible approach to business
- Proven teamwork skills
- Strong motivation, commitment and drive to succeed in a challenging academic program
- Clear commitment by your company about study-time allowances and project agreements, or an in-depth discussion with our EMBA management about your career plan for EMBA Career Change candidates.
The admissions process
EMBA applicants should fulfill at least the following:
- Five or more years of professional experience, including three years of managerial experience with an emphasis on leadership qualities and achievements (managing people, process, or budgets)
- An undergraduate degree of minimum 3 years or equivalent professional qualification
- Either strong GMAT/GRE scores or ESMT's admissions test scores*. ESMT’s MBA GMAT code is H4D-SJ-54 or simply search for ESMT by name. Our Designated Institution (DI) code for the GRE is 7768.
- TOEFL scores may be required for candidates with limited experience in business English. TOEFL scores (95 minimum), PTE score (64 minimum), IELTS score (7 minimum) or other English proficiency tests are accepted. ). ESMT Berlin accepts MyBest™ scores for the TOEFL iBT® test, in addition to TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date. The ESMT TOEFL institution code is 8707. If English is your native language or you earned a university degree exclusively taught in English you do not need to take an English proficiency test.
* ESMT administers admissions tests for candidates who choose not to take the GMAT/GRE or GMAC Executive Assessment. The admissions test is either administered in Berlin, as a one-day assessment at the same time as the in-person interview, or it can be passed online in combination with a Skype admissions interview.
Step 1: Pre-evaluation
Before the official application, ESMT engages with each EMBA applicant individually to ensure that the student’s career goals match the EMBA program’s track record for excellence. You can engage with us in a number of ways:
- Submit your CV to EMBA Admissions, and a member of the ESMT team will respond shortly.
- Meet us around the world at an event or through a one-to-one meeting. ESMT meets EMBA candidates in an individual atmosphere while conducting recruitment events. Please get in touch with us to arrange a meeting near you.
- For applicants from companies with whom we have a long-established relationship you may contact your HR department. In many ESMT partner companies, there is a dedicated professional working with ESMT to further your company’s career development goals.
Step 2: Online application
To begin the admissions process, applicants are invited to complete the online application form. The application is easy to follow, and will ask for the following information:
- Basic personal data, including birthdate, address, and nationality
- Your academic and professional background
- Short essay questions
- Your CV
- Two recommendations
Step 3: Interview
ESMT invites applicants to a personal interview, either at ESMT’s Berlin campus or via Skype.
Applicants who wish to forego the GMAT test are welcome to take ESMT's admissions test instead. The admissions test is administered online or in Berlin, as a half-day assessment at the same time as the in-person interview.
Step 4: Admissions and Scholarship Committee
After the interview, ESMT’s Admissions Committee reviews the complete application and makes an admission decision. The Admissions Committee acts as a separate academic body; all admissions decisions are made objectively, regardless of company support.
If applicants are self-funded, ESMT Admissions will inform them of any scholarship awards at the same time as the admissions decision.
EMBA Admissions operates a rolling admissions process, with available places in the class filled on a continual basis. Space in the ESMT Executive MBA class is limited, and early application is strongly suggested.
The following are deadlines for the next Executive MBA intake:
Round 1: May 1, 2023 - Applications received by this deadline will qualify for a tuition discount of € 10,000, in addition to any scholarships awarded.
Round 2: July 1, 2023 - Applications received by this deadline will qualify for a tuition discount of € 5,950, in addition to any scholarships awarded.
Round 3**: September 1, 2023 - Applications submitted after this deadline will be considered on a space-available basis